We went this morning to talk with Weslie's neurologist and to see the pics from her MRI. To me, the spot where the stroke happened...looks freakin' huge!!! But in all actuality...it is only about an inch big...located in the region of the brain that houses the fine motor skills and skin sensations (like feeling how warm the bath water is or feeling a prick of a needle...which might explain the reason that Weslie didnt cry when she got her flu shots.) Right now, we have to be aware of any seizures she might have (even though she hasnt had any that we know of, we still need to be aware that she may have some.) She will have to go for an EEG here in the next week or so to take a look at the brain functions...and to see whether those functions are leaning towards more seizures and/or another stroke. If so, she will be put on seizure meds...that she will have to take for the rest of her life.
They are also going to run tons of tests on her blood...to try and figure out WHY the stroke happened. It could be any number of reasons...a blood clotting disorder, something genetic. With any of these, it can be maintained with meds. However, if there is something genetic, then Caton and I will have to undergo some tests to see who the carrier is and any implications of that for the future.
So where we sit now is not really any closer to an answer as to why this happened than we were before this visit. We will wait for results from this first round of blood tests, and go to physical therapy, and just continue to encourage her to use her hand as much as possible.
Thank you so much for all of your prayers. This is such a trying time...you never think that anything will be wrong with your child...and if it happens, and there is something wrong...it shatters your world. I know that there could be so much more wrong with her, and I am so so thankful that it is only her hand that is effected. It is just hard knowing that there IS something wrong, even if she will make a full recovery.
And she will make a full recovery...I will make sure of that!!!

7 comments:
You all are in our prayers!!! Please let us know if there is ANYTHING that we can do!!
I understand what your saying about hearing that something is wrong with your child...as a mom you immediately go to the "what did I do wrongs". I felt that way when Nico was 1st diagnosed with his asthma and allergies as a toddler and then with his ADD in 1st grade. No matter how big or small the issue is, it's so hard to hear that something is wrong with your precious child.
Wes is a tough little cookie, so I know that whatever is handed to her she's going to overcome!
We love you all and are here for you for whatever you need!!
I'm sure Weslie's just as strong as her Mom!
Every dr visit seems to produce more questions which I know is frustrating. We'll keep praying for all of you.
Adriene - Weslie and your entire family are in my prayers. I know God will take care of everything for her and your family. Weslie is a strong little girl and will not let anything hold her back. If there is anything that I can do to help, please let me know! Lots of love
Hey pal, you know I truely understand. Remember bk in march when they told us abe Lear had a brain tumor. Yeah, you can't breathe for what seems like forever and don't sleep for months thinking of all the what if's. And waiting for dr appts and test results is enough to make you crazy, yet your the mom, you still have to get it together b/c you have other children and a spouse. And on the physical therapy side of things, early intervention has statistically shown great be has results. You know the drs said Abe has CP. Look at him, if he does its mild. Prayer stay off the internet looking up stuff. It will only worry you more than you need to be right now. I love you and call if you need me or have any questions , Kathryn
You will continue to be in our prayers and please let us know if you need anything!
Joe and Amanda
Holy Cow, I don't check your site for a week and look what I missed. I will start praying for little Wes and for you and Keith. I can't imagine!
You are in our prayers!!! I'm so sorry to hear this news...Dusty caught up before I did and told me and it just made me sick to my stomach!!!
Post a Comment