Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Giving Back

When Caton was a GA (graduate assistant), before we were married, we would laugh about how little money he actually made. Yes, he got his graduate school paid for...and he got most of the perks of being a "real coach" but he literally made about $900 a month.

It. was. pitiful.

Then, about 6 months before we were to be married he calls me with what he said was, "some great news!" He had been offered another strength and conditioning GA position...at a different school...under a well-renowned S&C coach...and he was going to take the job. Again...making $900 a month. I was crushed. I had no clue how we were going to make it. Newly married, new town, new friends, I had to find a new job. It was scary.

Fastforward 2 years when Caton took his first "real job"...making hardly anything a year and no benefits. These were some of the times in our lives when alot of people took great care of us. Plus, we were far from our families...so we relied on our friends as our extended family. Numerous times we were invited to eat dinner with friends...or to go to wing night...only to have our bill paid for by our friends. We were included in their family events - school plays, recitals, family outings, family dinners. And this happened more times than we can count.

It was then that Caton and I vowed that once we were in a position to do so...that we would "take care" of Caton's GAs and those other coaches that might need an "extended family". And since being here...that is what we have tried to do. We are constantly inviting them over for holiday dinners or including them in our family functions. And I honestly think of some of those boys as my oldest children.

This semester, though, we started another "tradition"...just another way that we can give back and help out those coaches that are just starting out. We have started treating these guys to a home cooked meal...every other week. So every other week, I have been cooking for a minimum of 8 people. And these arent some little boys that eat one helping!!! I think each one of them went back for seconds tonight.

I know its not alot...but its just our way to help out those coaches that are where we were 5-6 years ago.

And hopefully, when these young coaches get "their gig"...they will in turn help out their GAs. Hopefully we are lighting a spark that will continue well into the future.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's awesome. I'm so glad there are people out there like you all. People who take care of one another. Ya'll truly make the world a better place.

Riley Kai said...

So cool! I actually choked up a little:-) We have seen first hand the struggles of GA's and so many people look past them. What a great thing you are doing not only for them, but also for your kids! Again, you inspire me!

diana said...

That is cool that you do that... you will have to send me some "boy" approved recipes... because I am sure Aidan and his daddy will eat for 8. : )

Scogin Family said...

That is very nice and I am sure that they appreciate it. We do a similar thing for Joey's GAs.

I am happy that the costume will work. This way someone will get some use out of it. Happy Halloween!!

Brooke said...

As a former GA I think this is awesome. Casey & Neisha and Casey's parents fed me more times than I can count and did so many other things that I can never repay them for. I was so thankful to have a "family" while in Missouri. I hope that I touch someone's life as they did mine. I know I am working in a high school now, but I feel as if I have kids of my own at times. I try to provide for those kids just as others have provided for me. Miss you!