Thursday, January 8, 2009

PT Evaluation

Yesterday, we had Weslie's Physical Therapy Evaluation. She was seen by a medical doctor and a physical therapist to determine what strategies need to be implemented to ensure that Weslie will get as much movement out of her hand as possible.

Basically what came of the appointment is that Weslie will need some occupational therapy as well as physical therapy on her hand and arm/shoulder. She also seems a bit weak in her core muscles on one side of her trunk...and will need for us to try and do some exercises with her to strengthen those. But overall, the therapist and the doctor seemed positive that they could definitely help her.

Now we have to get on the waiting list for the occupational therapist. They are supposed to call me back this afternoon to let me know how long of a wait it will be....so we will see about that.

For now, we are just going to try and make her grab for things with her right hand as much as possible, reach for things over her head with her right arm, and help her to strengthen those core muscles.

Maybe Caton needs to put her on a workout regime... :-)

4 comments:

Cameron said...

I'm so happy that things are going better for you guys. Hang in there, our prayers are with you!

That's Mrs. Russell said...

I've checked in and out of your page in the past as I am the sister to DW (amy's husband) and saw you on her page. Just wanted to say that we are prayer for the best with this situation. As a PTA myself, I would say that there is a lot of hope with the situation but hope all goes well.

LW said...

Well it sounds like a good plan is in place and since she has one of the top s&c coaches as a daddy and such a good mom she is in great hands :) Thanks for the update we've been thinking about Weslie and family.

Unknown said...

Oh lord! Don't let Caton get near my girl!! His workouts are killer LOL! Trust me!!!!!! I sort of did one he prepared for Aaron and I thought I was going to die.