Saturday, January 5, 2008

A Polite Little Boy

Keith and I are very adamant about raising polite, courteous children. One of the first signs that we taught Kade...after "more" and "eat" was "please." And now that his vocabulary has taken off, we make sure that he says please and thank you whenever he wants something or is given something. AND he is doing a really good job of it. There are times now, that he will actually say "Tank Uuu" without being prompted!!!

Well today took the cake. All three of us were in the kitchen this morning making some breakfast. Kade was playing with various toys...the ones magnetized to the fridge. I ended up sneezing...to which Kade says (without missing a beat), "Bless you!"

Now there was no prompting...no telling of what to say...I dont even think we have EVER told Kade to even say "Bless You." So the fact that he has just "picked this up" is amazing.

Keith looked at me and said, "Did you just hear him?" To which I responded..."Yea...that's incredible!!"

So we know that we are TRYING to raise a polite little boy...and it is comforting to finally get some reassurance that we are doing something right!!!

However, the flip side of this is that he REALLY IS absorbing EVERYTHING that we say and do...the good and the bad. Makes you really take notice of what you say, how you say it, and how you treat others!!!

1 comment:

amy (metz) walker said...

Aw, I love this post. How sweet is that for him to say...but also how proud am I that I have friends who are raising kids with manners and values!

Dusty and I watched the other morning at our favorite breakfast place as a little kid threw food at the people at the neighboring table. The parents didn't say a word and didn't do anything to stop him.

Crazy!