Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Saline Wash

So following the doctor's orders, we picked up a saline nasal washing system at Walgreens. Now I had first heard about these on the Oprah show...you basically run warm saline water through one nostril and allow it to flow out the other side...clearing all the impurities and boogers out. People who have tried it have claimed that it has helped with allergies, colds, stuffy noses and the like.

So, we get Keith one...take it home, read the directions and Keith heads into the bathroom to try out the nasal wash. As he begins to pour/shoot the wash into one nostril, he doesnt do a great job holding his throat closed...so as the wash is pouring out of his other nostril, Keith is gagging and coughing from the stuff pouring into his throat. Of course, Kade and I are in the background laughing...which I am sure did not make any of it any easier.

Here is a pic of someone performing a nasal wash...

As he looks up from catching his breath...he has saline/snotty residue all over his face...trailing from his nose through his goatee and off his chin...all over the bathroom mirror and down into the sink. Poor guy, looked so pitiful!!! But without wavering, Keith does it again - with more luck...and eventually gets the hang of the nasal wash.

So this morning, Keith washed before leaving for work. I just talked to him and he said that he woke up stuffy...but that he is all clear and breathing easy now!!

So maybe there IS something to this whole nasal wash. Even if it does make you get snot all over yourself and the bathroom mirror!!!

5 comments:

The Alnutts said...

The visual that you painted is hilarious! I won't be able to look at Keith without thinking of the snot! I am glad to hear that he is feeling better. He has been stuffed up for awhile.

The Barnes Crew said...

Ditto to what Kate said! Poor Boys!

amy (metz) walker said...

Eeeewew! I must admit, it works though. Desperate situations call for extreme measures! :-)

Anonymous said...

Hilarious! And congrats on baby #2!!!

Heather said...

I will pay for pictures of Keith using this.

Honestly I am a little curious on how well it works, might have to follow up on this when the pollen arrives in the spring.