Friday, July 15, 2011

Marriage Debate

Caton and Kade were on the couch last night, watching some program on TLC. One person on the show was talking about how HE had been married to HIS HUSBAND for 'X' amount of years.

Kade looks at Caton and exclaims, "HIS husband?? Is he a girl??"

It was all I could do to stifle my laughter as I looked at Caton, turning this loaded question over to him.

"Ummm, well, ummm, " Caton stammered. "No, he's a boy."

Kade then asked, "Then how does he have a husband?"

Caton's response, "Ummm, well, he just does...I'll tell you about it when you get older."

That seemed to appease Kade for now. But I have no idea how we will explain it to Kade if and when he asks again. I mean, I'm all for people being allowed to love and be with anyone that they choose. But to try to explain "gay marriage" to a 5 year old...is well, a bit much. And something that, obviously, Caton and I were NOT ready for!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

He's sure a sharp 5 year old and doesn't miss much. The sad thing is the possible "unsolicited answers" he might get from school, church and friends......

Aunt J