Monday, June 13, 2011

The Almost Stolen Soccer Ball

In the afternoons...we are outside. Every afternoon, all afternoon. Playing kickball, throwing baseball, swimming, kicking the soccer ball...you name it, we play it.

And this afternoon was no exception. We finally got a slight break from the 90 degree heat wave we have been experiencing and we enjoyed the outdoors. Eventually, though, it was time for Kole and I to come inside so that I could begin dinner (and Kole could take a nap.)

During the dinner prep, the older kids are always in and out of the house. And when they arent IN the house, I can easily see them out of the front or back windows (depending on where they are playing that particular game.) Tonight, while inside grabbing a quick drink, Kade relays to me that "some guy came down the street and asked if he could borrow my soccer ball, and I told him he could, and he said he would bring it back, and I told him to just put it in the garage....."

"Wait, WHAT?????" I exclaim (because I usually dont really completely listen to EVERYTHING that he tells me...and in this instance the words that stuck out were, "some guy, borrow, garage.)

So Kade tells me the story again, making sure to add, "But he promised that he would bring it back, Mommy....and you cant lie on a promise!"

I begin to tell Kade how I think he has just "given" his soccer ball away to some stranger...and how that stranger wasnt really "borrowing" it, but more like "stealing" it. I asked what the guy was wearing...where did he come from...where did he go? Kade says, "Black hat, black shirt, skin like you and me, walked from that way, walked away that way."

About that time, Caton pulls in the driveway. I am freaking out thinking that some stranger was close to our kids...thinking that he might be coming back. So I tell Caton to go get the story from Kade (to see if he can tell the same story again...so we can make sure that Kade isnt lying.) And Kade retells the same story. So Caton and Kade jump in the truck to go look for the boy in the black shirt...and the soccer ball.

They are gone a long, long time.

So long that I started to get worried. Then I caught a glimpse of a soccer ball rolling across our front yard. And then I saw the boy in the black shirt walking in the road in front of our house. So I grabbed my phone, yelled at Wes to stay inside, and I went out.

From our porch I yelled at the boy...asking him where he lived, where he went with my son's soccer ball, and thanked him for returning it. As soon as I ended our conversation, I saw Caton speeding down the street...coming to a stop right in front of the boy.

Let's just say Caton wasnt so nice to the young fellow and I dont think he will be coming around our yard anymore.

(Caton said that after talking with the boy, he thinks that the boy may be alittle on the slow side.)

Then, we finally sat down at the dinner table and are re-hashing all of the events....Caton and I expressing how scared the entire situation had made us...Kade pipes up, "See Momma, I told you that he promised to bring the ball back!"

God Bless your sweet, trusting, naive heart my boy. But if any stranger EVER comes around...you better get your a$$ inside this house. AND you now have to ask me before you give ANYTHING to ANYONE. Period.

No comments: