Before this move…Caton and I had pretty much always been people with the attitude of, “What happens is supposed to happen…whether we like it or not…God puts us where we are supposed to be.”
Evidence of this was the fact that we moved to Missouri (in 2005) not 5 months after buying a wonderful house in Kentucky and not too long after finding out that I was pregnant with Kade. We had no clue why we were being called to go to Missouri…and with losing A BUNCH of money on the sale of our house in KY…we were still perplexed as to our reason for being in Missouri (other than Caton’s job and all.)
That’s when we had Weslie.
And after finding out about her condition…we were literally surrounded by all of the right doctors and therapists needed to treat her. I mean, we lived in a community that actually had a Pediatric Neurologist!! AND we were able to get her into the Early Intervention program with relative ease. So looking back…Caton and I are convinced that our move to Missouri was for that specific reason – that one day, 2.5 years later, we would have a little girl that would need all of these specialized services that they don’t have in Kentucky.
Now we have been called to move again. And looking in from the outside, many have questioned our choice to move from MIZZOU back to Western Kentucky – because yes, we are moving from a bigger D-I University to a smaller (just entered into the 1-A) D-I University. But looking back, now on this move…we are for sure that this is where we are meant to be. That we have been placed here for a reason (yet to be seen) and that we have followed our calling. For this move was WAAAAY to easy for us to not be right where we are supposed to be. Let me just lay it all out there:
1. We knew for a while that Caton was going to get the call to come for an interview at WKU. Like we knew back in June. However, when Caton and I started to look at the calendar, we realized that in order to be vested at MU (and to receive a pension from the University) that Caton would have to work until August 22. So we started strategizing how we could make that happen…that was if he were to get the job sometime in June or July and have to leave Missouri for WKU. Well, as He would have it…things at WKU just kept getting delayed. One week it would be that someone was on vacation…the next week it would be that the paperwork was held up…everything kept getting pushed farther and farther back until Caton was finally called to come for the interview towards the beginning of August – meaning that we would no longer have to worry that he wouldn’t make that August 22 deadline.
2. On a whim, while Caton was on his interview…I started to look for OB/GYNs in the Bowling Green area – just in case he DID get the job…I would be ahead of the game in finding a doctor to deliver this baby. I literally googled, “OBs in Bowling Green” and was directed to a Clinic in town that had 4 different OBs to choose from. I started clicking around and eventually found the home page of the Clinic…and a tab for “Job Openings.” I opened it up thinking that there would probably only be nursing or medical assistant openings…but there was one opening in the Administrative office. So just for the sake of saying that I was trying to be on the ball about this move…I applied. That was a Thursday.
On Friday, I got a call from the HR lady at the Clinic…saying that they had received my application, and she wanted to tell me all that the job entailed. Upon listening to her…it sounded a lot like the job that I was currently doing in Missouri. So I said that ‘yes’ I was interested…and she asked if I would be available for an interview. I said that I would be, but that I was still in Missouri…and then I suggested that we could do the interview over Skype. And she agreed!! We set up the interview for the next Monday.
On Monday, I “Skyped” with my potential boss and the HR lady…and had what I thought was an awesome interview. Everything that I would be doing…I had done in the past, aside from a few medically specific things. But, I also found out that my potential boss was an ex-lawyer and handled all of the Clinic’s malpractice suits. (Don’t think I wasn’t super excited about that part.) So after about an hour of interviewing…we left it that he would get back to me within the next few days. This was also the day that Caton was offered and accepted his new job at WKU.
On Tuesday afternoon, the HR lady called me and offered me the job!!! So within a 6 day period, I had applied for, interviewed for and gotten a job in a city that I didn’t even live in!!! Things were starting to fall into place. AND because Caton and I both now had jobs in Kentucky…we would be able to move together to Kentucky instead of me and the kids staying behind in Missouri until I found a job or we sold the house!!!
(And I found out once I started this new position…that my boss was ready to offer my position to someone else on that Friday morning…when the HR lady came into his office and said that he had better take a look at my application before making that phone call – and that’s when they decided to call me for an interview!!!)
3. Now about our housing. We knew that we wanted to rent a house…so that the kids would have a yard to play in and we would have plenty of storage for all of our stuff. However, we were having the hardest time finding something that wasn’t too expensive (because we would still be paying our mortgage in Missouri) and that was close to the University. But we continued to look, hopeful that something would turn up.
And that is exactly what happened. We had a friend checking out a house in a neighborhood for us…and when she said that the house wasn’t that great…we were pretty much defeated. Then, on her way out of the neighborhood, she drove by a house with a “For Rent” sign in the yard. She texted me the number and Caton immediately called. He spoke with the landlord and they seemed to have a great conversation. Turns out, they had another property that they rented to a WKU coach. So they decided to go to the rental house and take pictures of it to send to us. (We also had our friends go by and do alittle detective work for us!!!) After looking at the pics…and talking it over with Caton…we determined that the house was just alittle too high in price for us. So Caton called the landlord back…and ended up talking the lady down to a figure that we could afford!!! That was the Sunday before we were scheduled to move the next Saturday!!! Literally, site unseen, landlords unmet…we would be meeting them and seeing the house for the first time when we pulled up with everything that we owned!!!
AND come to find out…the landlords had our house rented to someone else…that had fallen through right before I got the text with the house’s number on it. Talk about someone really wanting us to find this house!!!
4. The next piece of the puzzle was taking the first week we were here to find childcare for the kids. We eventually found a spot for Kade in a 5-day program at the Catholic School…and a spot for Weslie in a 5-day program at a center that is located across the street from where I am working. Pretty amazing that both of those places had openings…and that they are a price that we can afford.
5. The last piece of the puzzle is our house back in Missouri. It is currently “For Sale or Lease” depending on which one happens first. We had a few hook-ups and got the entire house’s carpets cleaned for like $200 and we had the entire inside of the house painted for right at $1000!!! So it looks so good. And with everything that has happened…and just how everything has fallen right into place…we are confident that it will be rented or sold in His time…under His watchful eye.
Pretty amazing when you look at it all together. How each little piece had to happen just so…how this move has literally been so easy.
But I guess it’s not really THAT amazing…when you consider the Man that orchestrated it all.
2 comments:
Love this post! It gave me goosebumps! What a perfect reminder to let go, and let God!
Wow. Well, you can't say that God hasn't been pretty darn clear as he walks you through this journey. I'm so happy for you and hope that all these "facts" give you so much peace that you are living inside His will!
Now if only you'd feel the need to move on down South. ;-)
Post a Comment