Saturday, September 26, 2009

Alabama Coastal Triathlon

Saturday was race day!!! This is what the last 3 months of training had come down to!!!

We got up early, early...like 4am early...and headed down to the transition area to set up our stations. Each person had a designated area where their transition areas had to be set up...so everyone got a spot to hang their bike. Amy and I were able to set our areas up right next to one another.

After listening to the announcer and getting all marked up, we headed up the beach to the starting point of the swim. Since the current was running west to east...they made us walk about 3/4 of a mile up the beach (to the west) so that once we swam out and took a left at the first buoy, we would be swimming with the current and end up right in front of the transition area.

They made us line up by numbers (Amy was right in front of me) and they let us enter the water at about every 3-5 seconds. The swim was good...it was very rough waters that day (a red flag in fact) but we eventually finished the one mile swim and had to run up across the beach into the transition area.

The bike went pretty good too. It was just sooooo long - 24.5 miles. And without training on the bike that I was riding...I just wasnt used to it. By the end of the ride, my back was KILLING me and my shoulders were screaming. BUT, the bike was super fast!!! I could really tell a difference between that bike (which was a road bike) and my bike that I ride in CoMo (which is a hybrid). So I think I will be investing in a road bike pretty soon.

So after the last transition, the only thing left was the run - 6.2 miles. There was supposed to be water at every mile...but it turns out, there was only water at mile 1, 3, and 5. By mile 3, I was hurting!!! I was getting chills (a sure sign of dehydration) and my legs just wanted to quit. But I didnt!!! I kept going, and eventually turned the corner for the home stretch...

...only to see KK, Kade and Weslie standing there cheering for me. It was awesome...and I kinda got alittle teary-eyed.

I finished with a total time of 3:34:27!!! My goal was under 4 hours, so I am happy!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great job! :)