Wednesday, August 19, 2009

State Fair

Last Sunday, we got up, packed up and headed to the State Fair. Caton found out a few months ago that they were hosting a Bench Press Competition....and he decided to participate. So after packing all of our necessities and driving the hour to the Fairgrounds, we arrived at the destination.

I was pleasantly surprised that the competition took place in one of the only air conditioned buildings at the Fair...and we quickly set up shop in a corner of the venue. Weslie was really happy to be there to support her Daddy...

However, she couldnt hang, and finally succumbed to the Sandman and was out like a light...

One of Caton's baseball players showed up in support...and Weslie was in love with him!!! She actually let him hold her (until she fell asleep on his shoulder) then when she woke up, she let him hold her while she just rested her head on his chest...

...and Ryan didnt mind one bit!!! Was the sweetest thing I saw all day.

You know what else was sweet??? All the ridiculous outfits that we saw. I mean, I know it was the Fair...and everyone was in their personal best....but cut off shirts, high heels, short booty shorts, and sleeveless shirts were out in abundance. Gave us all a good laugh.

Anywho...back to the meet.

After waiting for about 3 hours, it was finally Caton's turn to lift...

...we were all very excited.

He got his first two attempts VERY easily, and decided to try for 460lbs on his last attempt. (That would be a PR for him!!!) So he tried it...

...and got the weight with ease!!! He probably left about 10 or so pounds on the bar. But 460 raw (meaning without a bench shirt on) is soooo awesome. I can remember when Caton was apprehensive about getting under 405lbs. Now he is benching 460 like its nobody's business!!! I am so proud of him!!!

And with that lift, he solidified winning his weight class. He got a big ol' trophy for his efforts...

After the meet, it was time to take the kids out and let them experience the quality goodness that is the Fair. First we started off small and went around to the petting zoo. Most of the animals were sleeping...but the cows and the billy goats went crazy for our food.

Then Kade wanted to ride a pony...so we let him. Then he wanted to ride the camel. So we walk over, and Caton says, "I'll ride too!!!" So after having a conversation on weight limits and exactly how much a camel can hold...the carnies decided that Caton would be fine because, "camels are much stronger than horses!" (Good to know!!) So Caton and Kade take off on the camel...

...poor Caton looked like he was going to fall off the back of the hump...but they made it around the ring and were quickly back to safety.

We walked around alittle longer...trying to sway Kade away from the rides...but eventually we caved and bought $20 worth of tickets and Kade went to town.

He "drove" some cars...

...which ended up jumping the track and making the entire ride stop while the carny put it back on the track. So Caton and I decided what any good parent would...that we would let Kade ride on that ride again!!! You know, because it was free since the first ride was cut short.

Then Caton and Kade squished themselves into the bumblebee while I prayed that the thing wouldnt break off the hinge while it hoisted them into the air...

...then we took Kade's pic with a "Hulk" look-a-like...

Can anyone tell me why the "Hulk" is standing ON the buildings???
Anyways, Kade rode in a canoe...

...to which he told the carny as he passed, "I wanna go faster!!!"

So he opted for bumper boats...

...only to find that all of them were broken. So instead of shutting the ride down, the carnies improvised and one of them got IN the water and pushed the kids around. It was just silly.

Lastly, Kade rode a small roller coaster...THAT WAS NEVER ENDING!!!! I kid you not, I think they went around about 20 times...

...which ended up being good because Kade got braver and braver the longer it went...and was riding with his hands in the air by the end of it.

All in all, it was a fun day. Caton won, Kade played, Wes napped (and snuggled with a baseball player), and I got to enjoy spending time with our family.

Life is good.

3 comments:

Riley Kai said...

Wow! Tell Caton congrats! Thats impressive! (and I love all the pics, nothing like watching the big boys try to squeeze onto kiddy rides!)

Brooke said...

I love the pic of Weslie & Ryan. It is very precious. He's a great kid. I miss him & y'all too!

Unknown said...

I wanna snuggle with a baseball player too *wink wink*!