Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Prayers for Our Girl

**UPDATE** Everything went smoothly this morning...as smoothly as it could, I guess. They gave her an oral sedative...she spit some of it on Caton, some of it on the nurse, then puked some more of it up on her own shirt (good thing we have some serious stain removal techniques!!!). Then they tried to put in an IV...tried in her foot - missed the vein. I was holding her for that one, and I was sweating like a pig. So after they poked around in her foot for a while...Caton and I switched positions and they tried in her left hand...missed again. Then they called in an IV nurse and she was able to get it started in the right hand. By that time she was asleep from the sedative...so it wasnt as bad as the first (and second) poke.

They took her down for the MRI, and Caton got to go and be with her. I decided to stay in the waiting area, as I didnt want to have to see her strapped down to the table and all. Then about 30 minutes later, they wheeled her back into the recovery area. There was a baby crying, and immediately Weslie's eyes popped open and she tried to sit up. So I took her and nursed her...and she fell back to sleep. They made us wait for about 20 minutes to make sure that the milk stayed down...then they let us dress her and we got to leave.

Now we are home, Wes and Caton are sleeping and I am heading that way (last night was a long night of not sleeping as my mind was racing and all!!!) Thank you, thank you so much for all the prayers...I never knew how real it is when people say that they can "feel" the prayers...but it is true. I had a great sense of peace this morning and have maintained an even keel all day....and I contribute that to all of you that are praying for our little angel. So thanks again!!!

PS....We should know something on the results as early as tomorrow OR at the latest on Monday. But if I havent heard by Friday afternoon, I am going to call and talk to the doctor's nurse. Now we just need to pray that the results are positive that nothing in wrong with her brain!!!



That's right, I am taking to the blogosphere to ask for you to pray for our little girl. She will have to undergo a sedation MRI tomorrow to get some scans of her brain.

Let me backtrack and give you the whole story:

Ever since Weslie could move her arms and hands, I have noticed that she doesnt use her right hand nearly as much as her left. Initially, Caton and I wrote it off that Weslie would just be left handed. But the problem seemed to persist. And now that she is able to grab for things and hold them, she definitely doesnt use that right hand like she should. So at her 6 month appointment, I pointed it out to the doctor. She evaluated Weslie and we were told just to watch it over the next month, and that we would come back for a re-evaluation. So we did, and the concerns were still apparent. Even so much as Weslie would reach across her body to grab a toy on her right side with her left hand...instead of simply reaching out and grabbing with the right.

So our doctor referred us to a neurologist...thinking THAT would be the place to start to try and determine what is going on. So yesterday, Weslie had her neurology appointment. The neurologist tested many different reflexes and all seemed to be fine. However, he was still concerned that she just wasnt using her thumb properly. He said that best case is that it is just musculature deficiency and could be cured with physical therapy...worst case is that she may have had a stroke!!! Yea, like the things that older people have that leaves them paralyzed!!! Yea, I was freakin' out alittle...and just trying to hold it all together!!!

So, he wanted us to schedule an MRI and in the meantime go to physical therapy...thinking that we wouldn't be able to schedule the MRI till late January or sometime in February due to the fact that Weslie will need to be sedated in order to stay still. BUT, not 20 minutes after we left the office, they called to say that there was a cancellation for the exact type of MRI we needed and did we want to come on Wednesday. Obviously, we jumped on the appointment, and will be headed to the hospital in the morning for the procedure.

We just need some prayers...specifically that the anesthesiologist will be able to give Weslie the correct amount of drugs to keep her asleep (as we all know that anesthesia in little ones is kind of concerning)...that the MRI will run smoothly...that the neurologist will be able to get the pictures he needs to see what (if anything) is going on in Weslie's brain...and that the neurologist finds nothing wrong with her brain, and her motor skills can just be refined with some physical therapy.

Thanks in advance...

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh geez girl! I'll definately have your family in my thoughts and prayers!! Keep us updated!

DW said...

Just sent one up for little Weslie...

Scogin Family said...

Please let us know if you need anything and we are keeping your family in our prayers!

The Barnes Crew said...

Of course we will be praying for her! If you need me tomorrow just call me and I'll be right there!

Love y'all!

Anonymous said...

I'll be praying for all of you that the outcome is good.

Brooke said...

Weslie and your family are in my prayers. I am praying for a good outcome of the MRI.

Diana said...

Praying for Weslie and your family.

Heather said...

Oh my, Adriene! I know all to well about the neuro visits and MRIs on our babies. Stay strong! We will defiantly be keeping Weslie and parents in our prayers. I was happily surprise with the MRI sadation Logan had. I was with him the whole time and it really was just a heavy sleep. I felt I could have "woken" him up at any point. Keep us posted.

amy (metz) walker said...

So sorry to hear you are going through this Adriene! I will be praying for ya'll!

LW said...

Our thoughts and prayers are with Weslie and your family.

Jamey, Lettie, Ansley and Stephen said...

I will def. be praying for all of you. Hope it goes smoothly and easily!

Riley Kai said...

Oh Adriene! I will definately be praying for all of you! I wish I had words that could comfort you! God is good, and He will see you through this!

Tony said...

We're all praying for all of you!

Unknown said...

Of course my Wes is in my prayers this morning!! I know she'll do just fine. Keep me posted. I love you A!!

Rebecca Jo said...

Oh my.... glad I saw this today... Will pray its all going well..

Keep us updated!

Heather said...

Yeah, glad to hear all went "well". I will pray you all get answers soon...I know waiting is the hardest part. Honestly though, the more I prayed about it and turned things over to God the more calm I had and it sounds like you are finding the same thing. Keep us posted.

Andreas said...

just read it thru sherri´s link, so i´m late for praying for the mri. but i´m in and with you for the results! heads up, everything will work out and be fine.

greets from germany

Hollie said...

Wow, stay strong Adriene. I'll be praying for ya'll.

Rebecca Jo said...

Glad all went well... now praying for the results!

Bailey's Daily said...

I will have Wes in my prayers!!! I hope you get good results!!!