Monday, November 17, 2008

"Shut-up!!" "Dang-It!!"

Over the last few months, Kade and I have really been talking about "words you can and cannot say." It all started when the word "shut-up" arrived at Kade's daycare via a child that has some not-so-wonderful parents (but I digress..). Anyway, when that word presented its ugly head at our house...I was quick to make sure that Kade understood that we did not use that word. (He even had to stand in timeout a few times when he thought he would test the "shut-up waters"...not fun.)

So now, he clearly knows that "shut-up" is not a nice word...and that we DO NOT say it. However, there have been a few times when Kade has dropped something, and looked at me and said in a very soft, questioning tone, "Mommy, I wanna say dang-it." Which I respond with an approving, "Okay, honey, you can say dang-it...that is an okay word." So then Kade will say loudly and with more force, "DANG-IT!!"

So on Saturday night, Jana was over watching the game and she and I were talking...when one of her responses to whatever I was saying was, "Shut-up?!?" Not the kind of shut-up like "I dont want to hear you talking" but the kind of shut-up like "you are kidding, I dont believe it!"

Kade heard her say that to me and said to Jana, "(Gasp) Jana, we DO NOT say shut-up, we say dang-it!"

Jana and I were rolling we were laughing so hard. Good to know he is catching on!!!

1 comment:

Hollie said...

that is soo funny! my niece and nephew are always telling me what I can and cannot say!