So all week, we have been planning a cookout tailgate...complete with burgers, hot dogs, chips, cupcakes, etc. I even went shopping with Sherri to get all the items to make the tailgate complete. So the kids and I arrive at our site...I pushed the double stroller with one hand (with both kids in it) and drug the rolling cooler behind me with the other hand...yeah, totally looked like a pack mule, I am sure!!! Anyways, we arrive and I begin to get out all the stuff that I have brought. Sherri and her crew arrive and begin to do the same. At one point, I look up and notice that I cant see Kade. So I walked around the big rig (we tailgate by the area that the Tigers huge equipment truck is parked) and spot Kade climbing up onto the loading dock. His football had fallen behind it, so he got down, got the ball and was climbing back up. I watched as he lifted himself up onto the dock and was beginning to put his legs up onto it as well. I told him that once he got up there, that he needed to come back over to the tailgate and he said "okay." I then turned around and didnt take 2 steps till I heard Kade screaming. I looked back over and saw him running out from behind the dock, crying. As I went over to him, I immediately noticed a HUGE goose-egg on his forehead. Thinking that he has just hit his head (obviously), I picked him up to comfort him. Then I walked over to sit him on the dock so that I can look at his head, and as I sit him down and he pulls away from my shoulder, I see that my shoulder and left arm are covered in blood. He looks at me through teary eyes and is still screaming.
I immediately scoop him up and rush over to where everyone else is and say (very loudly) that I needed help...that he is bleeding, etc. So everyone jumps up to help. We get a towel, stop the bleeding and try and get some ice on his head. Sherri ran in the building to get one of the trainers to come and look at him. She came out and suggested that we go to the emergency room. But, we decided to go over to the stadium to where the team doctors were and get him looked at over there instead. So me, Kade, Sherri, and one of Don's assistants hop in one of the gators and take Kade across the street. (I am sure that I looked like someone had been massacred...as my left arm was bloody, the towel I was holding was bloody...and Kade was in my lap with a huge knot on his head!!!)
So we get over to the training room, and just our luck, the doctors have not arrived yet. So Rex (our head trainer) takes a look at Kade and determines that "as a trainer and a Dad...he is going to be just fine." Meanwhile, our backup QB sees Kade and I come into the training room and goes and tells Caton, "Hey Coach, I think you might need to go see about your son in a minute...he has a cut or something and him and your wife are in the training room." So of course, Caton drops everything and comes rushing in there to be with us.
We finally determine that yes, Kade is going to be fine...it pretty much solidified that when he got up out of our laps and started running all over the training room trying to play with all the equipment. So Sherri and I decided to take him back over to the tailgate. As we were leaving we DID finally see one of the team doctors. He took a look at Kade's head and ensured us that Kade would be fine because, "if you are going to hit your head...your forehead is the best place to hit it." Ummm, yeah, good to know...but doesnt really make me feel any better!!!
But Kade was a trooper...we went to the game and he hasnt seemed to complain too much about his head hurting or anything. It is starting to get all scabby and gross now and some of the swelling has gone down...but here are some shots of the goose-egg:
This is IN the training room...about 20 minutes after it all happened:
This is Sunday morning...such a sweet, happy boy...him and Daddy made cinnamon rolls
...and of course, posing for the camera...goose-egg and all...Wow, Caton said, "Well, Adriene, we better get used to it...this is just the beginning...just one of many injuries." Get used to it!?! Ummm, how about no....how about I am going to wrap him in bubble wrap and make him wear a helmet for the rest of his life!!! Sure he will never get a date, and will be the "weird kid in bubble wrap" but at least I wont have to deal with the stress of having him hurt!!! Yea, and once we got back to the tailgate and everything was okay, dont think that I didnt have a stiff drink (or two)!!! Ahhhh, the joys of raising a boy!!!

5 comments:
Ouch!! Poor baby and poor mama. Sometimes it's scarier for Mom than the kid.
Holy crap!! Now that is a goose egg! Geez! Did you ever find out what he hit it on? Good lord. Looks like he got smacked! Love the posing though.
We really should of got a picture of his head after the game...y'all it looked like a multi-colored football! Poor kid!
Maybe we should have Don make him up a helmet to wear around!
woah! Looks like it hurt! But he's still smiling! Glad it turned out okay. What's family time without a little drama?!
Oh Adrienne! Ouch! I hurt just looking at that... but I can say from experience... at least it wasn't his teeth!
Post a Comment