Friday, May 4, 2007

The Amazing Human Body

Ok, so ever since having Kade, I have been amazed at the human body. I mean, it is incredible!!! Simply for the fact that a woman can have ANOTHER HUMAN BEING in her belly for 9 months is mind boggling to me. The fact that we have to breathe to live, however, as a fetus we dont...? WHAT? And how a woman can sustain her baby once born just by nursing it!! I mean, your body is FEEDING another being - and somehow knows exactly what that baby needs and changes what is in the milk to accommodate....it is amazing!!!

So the reason for all this thought is that Kade came home from daycare with a fever last night. Wendy took his temp at about 4 (under his arm) and it was 101...so I went and got him and we went home to snuggle on the couch. He sat with me (drifting in and out of sleep) until about 7, 730...then I took his temp again. It was 102.4 or so....so I ended up giving Kade some Tylenol and calling the 24 hour nursing line to see if I needed to take him in to the doctor.

So the nurse is telling me that there is a virus going around (isnt there always one going around?)...anyways, she proceeds to tell me that a temp of up to 104 is okay for little guys his age. and that until his temp was 102 I shouldnt even give him Tylenol...because for some reason his body is trying to fight something, and I needed to let his body work...that it was almost good for him....CRAZY, I know. AND she said if it got over 104 to give him a warm sponge bath and only bring him in if it got to 105.....

So I am just in amazement....the body gets a fever when trying to fight some foreign object off so that we wont get sick...and it is a way to let us know that there IS something going on....WOW!!!
The body is just AMAZING!!!

As far as Kade goes, by 830 he was fine...up and playing and smiling and all....so I think it may have just been that he is cutting a new tooth...or maybe he really was sick for a few hours...who knows...he is okay today!!!

No comments: