Yesterday was another check in the "crazy Caton life."
The little kids and I walked up to Kade's school to get him at dismissal. And as usual, they wanted to stay and play on the playground. So they went off to play and I sat on the bench chatting with another mom. She and I were talking about how hard it was to find people to keep our kids...as she doesnt have any family here. It's kind of ironic now, looking back, that she and I would be talking about an aspect of our lives that would be put to the test.
So as I was talking I watched Kade take a running dive, Superman-style, into the mouth of a tube slide. Like one of those fully enclosed slides. Well, his aim must have been a bit off, because he knocked his head on the slide. And for a split second I thought, "Wow, that's gonna hurt in the morning." That's right about the time that Kade started screaming, and the blood started flowing.
No not flowing, more like gushing. Kade immediately had red hands as he was grabbing his head. I ran to him and immediately took off my jacket to put on his head. At this point I still hadnt really seen what the exact wound looked like. But I knew by the amount of blood, that it was bad.
About this time, Kade's room mom came up (she is an ex-nurse) and said that she had some paper towels in her car. She came back and in the switch from jacket to paper towels, we got our first glimpse at the wound. It was big and it was deep.
And right then, Wendi (Kade's room mom) took control. She told me that I was gonna take him to Urgent Care and that she was going to take my little kids home with her. It was right about then that I realized that I didnt even have my car at the school! So she told me and Kade to get in her Suburban. She loaded up my little kids, and her kids (she has 4!) and we were off to our house. She dropped Kade and I off, I ran in to get my purse and the keys, and we were speeding to the closest Urgent Care.
While driving, I tried to call Caton (who was out at football practice). I knew that I wouldnt be able to get him, so I started going through my phone to figure out who I could call to get to him. I finally called Caton's boss' wife and she called the football office assistant, who then went to get Caton. Apparently it was pretty funny as she walked out during practice and told him, "There's no need to panic, but your wife called and your son is being taken to the ER for stitches."
Needlesstosay, Caton was driving like a madman trying to get to us.
He arrived just after we had gotten checked in, and they had slathered Kade's head with numbing cream.
We waited for the cream to work its magic...all while continuing to ask Kade questions to make sure that he wasnt presenting symptoms of concussion or shock. The doc came in and started moving Kade's hair around so that we could see what we were dealing with. And in passing she told the nurse, "Yea, we are gonna need some stapels." Well, she should have just told Kade that she was gonna kill him. He freaked out.
We tried to sweet talk Kade, but there was no rationalizing with him. Caton and I ended up having to lay on him. Caton on Kade's top half and me on the bottom. And the staples were in before Kade even knew it. He ended up with two of them...even though the doc came back in and said that he could have probably used one more.
So we got a prescription for some antibiotics (since it happened outside on a playground) and a note to sit out of PE and recess and we were on our way. We are supposed to go back in 10 days to let them take them out. But we will probably just go up to the University and let the medical staff there take the staples out.
So after the Urgent Care visit, we had to pick up the little kids. Only I had no idea where they actually were. And in the haste to leave with Kade, I had given Wendi my number, but I didnt get hers. So I called the school, told them the situation, and they gave me her number (thank goodness she is the room mom!!!). We went and picked up the other kids...which were having a blast by the way, and Wendi had not only taken great care of our kids, but she had made us dinner too!!! She said that she knew that we wouldnt have anything made since we had been there all afternoon, so she sent us home with spaghetti, salad, and green beans. It was such a nice gesture, and Caton and I were soooo very thankful.
What's that saying, "It take a villiage to raise a child." In this situation, it really did take a (not total) stranger to help us in our time of need.
The little kids and I walked up to Kade's school to get him at dismissal. And as usual, they wanted to stay and play on the playground. So they went off to play and I sat on the bench chatting with another mom. She and I were talking about how hard it was to find people to keep our kids...as she doesnt have any family here. It's kind of ironic now, looking back, that she and I would be talking about an aspect of our lives that would be put to the test.
So as I was talking I watched Kade take a running dive, Superman-style, into the mouth of a tube slide. Like one of those fully enclosed slides. Well, his aim must have been a bit off, because he knocked his head on the slide. And for a split second I thought, "Wow, that's gonna hurt in the morning." That's right about the time that Kade started screaming, and the blood started flowing.
No not flowing, more like gushing. Kade immediately had red hands as he was grabbing his head. I ran to him and immediately took off my jacket to put on his head. At this point I still hadnt really seen what the exact wound looked like. But I knew by the amount of blood, that it was bad.
About this time, Kade's room mom came up (she is an ex-nurse) and said that she had some paper towels in her car. She came back and in the switch from jacket to paper towels, we got our first glimpse at the wound. It was big and it was deep.
And right then, Wendi (Kade's room mom) took control. She told me that I was gonna take him to Urgent Care and that she was going to take my little kids home with her. It was right about then that I realized that I didnt even have my car at the school! So she told me and Kade to get in her Suburban. She loaded up my little kids, and her kids (she has 4!) and we were off to our house. She dropped Kade and I off, I ran in to get my purse and the keys, and we were speeding to the closest Urgent Care.
While driving, I tried to call Caton (who was out at football practice). I knew that I wouldnt be able to get him, so I started going through my phone to figure out who I could call to get to him. I finally called Caton's boss' wife and she called the football office assistant, who then went to get Caton. Apparently it was pretty funny as she walked out during practice and told him, "There's no need to panic, but your wife called and your son is being taken to the ER for stitches."
Needlesstosay, Caton was driving like a madman trying to get to us.
He arrived just after we had gotten checked in, and they had slathered Kade's head with numbing cream.
We waited for the cream to work its magic...all while continuing to ask Kade questions to make sure that he wasnt presenting symptoms of concussion or shock. The doc came in and started moving Kade's hair around so that we could see what we were dealing with. And in passing she told the nurse, "Yea, we are gonna need some stapels." Well, she should have just told Kade that she was gonna kill him. He freaked out.
We tried to sweet talk Kade, but there was no rationalizing with him. Caton and I ended up having to lay on him. Caton on Kade's top half and me on the bottom. And the staples were in before Kade even knew it. He ended up with two of them...even though the doc came back in and said that he could have probably used one more.
So we got a prescription for some antibiotics (since it happened outside on a playground) and a note to sit out of PE and recess and we were on our way. We are supposed to go back in 10 days to let them take them out. But we will probably just go up to the University and let the medical staff there take the staples out.
So after the Urgent Care visit, we had to pick up the little kids. Only I had no idea where they actually were. And in the haste to leave with Kade, I had given Wendi my number, but I didnt get hers. So I called the school, told them the situation, and they gave me her number (thank goodness she is the room mom!!!). We went and picked up the other kids...which were having a blast by the way, and Wendi had not only taken great care of our kids, but she had made us dinner too!!! She said that she knew that we wouldnt have anything made since we had been there all afternoon, so she sent us home with spaghetti, salad, and green beans. It was such a nice gesture, and Caton and I were soooo very thankful.
What's that saying, "It take a villiage to raise a child." In this situation, it really did take a (not total) stranger to help us in our time of need.
2 comments:
That had to have hurt something
awful. Thank goodness for the good
people that helped you. With a gash on the head and missing a
tooth, Kade must look like he's
been fighting with a tiger and lost. Hope it doesn't hurt too much, Kade. Love, Aunt Jackie
oh it looked painful and i can only imagine hearing we are going to staple your head! She obviously wasn't thinking!
we soo understand the importance of good friends in your life when you have no family around. They make all the differance!
Post a Comment