So this week was the week that Weslie finally got her leg brace. And to say that I was prepared for it is NOT the truth at all.
Caton ended up taking her to the appointment. And he said that she did amazing when Mr. Joe (the orthotic guy) came in to make sure that the brace fit correctly. She ended up with this brace:

(she chose purple butterflies)...and these shoes that she has to wear when she is wearing the brace.

(They are extra wide shoe and the right one doesnt have an insole so that the brace can fit correctly.)
Weslie was more excited about the new tennis shoes that she got than anything. She keeps asking if she can just wear her "new shoes" without that "other thing."
When they got home and showed me, I had to hide my frustration and tears from our girl. Its not that the brace looks that bad or anything. In fact, when she has it on, it just looks like a brace that an athlete would wear if they had sprained their ankle. Its just that this is ONE MORE thing, ONE MORE adaptive measure that she has to endure. And to be quite frank, it sucks.
I know that this is going to help her, and this is the best thing, and if we do this now then she might not have to have anything later, yadda yadda. I know all that. But just as with the cast on her arm, its just something that no parent wants for their child. I would love for there to come a time when she never needs anything anymore. It just stinks that she's still such a little...yet she has had to endure so much.
*Just for our reference. This brace is supposed to help Weslie to keep her right foot in a more flexed position as she walks...not allowing her to drag her toe and trip and fall.*
Caton ended up taking her to the appointment. And he said that she did amazing when Mr. Joe (the orthotic guy) came in to make sure that the brace fit correctly. She ended up with this brace:

(she chose purple butterflies)...and these shoes that she has to wear when she is wearing the brace.

(They are extra wide shoe and the right one doesnt have an insole so that the brace can fit correctly.)
Weslie was more excited about the new tennis shoes that she got than anything. She keeps asking if she can just wear her "new shoes" without that "other thing."
When they got home and showed me, I had to hide my frustration and tears from our girl. Its not that the brace looks that bad or anything. In fact, when she has it on, it just looks like a brace that an athlete would wear if they had sprained their ankle. Its just that this is ONE MORE thing, ONE MORE adaptive measure that she has to endure. And to be quite frank, it sucks.
I know that this is going to help her, and this is the best thing, and if we do this now then she might not have to have anything later, yadda yadda. I know all that. But just as with the cast on her arm, its just something that no parent wants for their child. I would love for there to come a time when she never needs anything anymore. It just stinks that she's still such a little...yet she has had to endure so much.
*Just for our reference. This brace is supposed to help Weslie to keep her right foot in a more flexed position as she walks...not allowing her to drag her toe and trip and fall.*
2 comments:
Hang in there! I wore a brace very similiar (when I was young they only came in bright peach (of an orange tone). Before long, she won't even realize she is wearing it. If she is like me, though, I just wanted pretty shoes. It really helped my muscles. Your a normal mommy who loves her child more than anything, and with a normal reaction to change. :)
Hey Colby's got the shorter version to help his toe walking. We just use regular shoes with the insole removed but have questioned getting the ones from the brace place, so let me know how you like them. He got use to them pretty quickly and we are now trying without again. While we hate that they have to go through this they don't think twice that's what makes it easier, for me at least some of the time.
Post a Comment