Everyone does it. Even if you say you dont...you do - label people. "The short one, the thin one, the smart one..." It happens everyday. We label and are labeled by others. And to me...its fine. Its a part of life. I know I've most likely been labeled - "the jock, the blonde, the sarcastic b*tch"...whatever...it rolls right off me.
But when you think about your kids, the only labels that you think of are those that you want fulfilled as your dreams for your kids. When I think about the boys, I immediately think, "athletes...football player, baseball player". When I think of Weslie, I think, "beautiful dancer."
But today, Weslie was labeled again. I took her to see a specialist at Vanderbilt, who diagnosed her with cerebral palsy. CP. Ugh, just to say it makes my mouth frown, my eyes tear, and anger begin to rise up inside me.
When I think of CP, I see a person in a wheel chair...barely able to speak, not able to dance and sing and play. Nothing that I think of when I look at my sweet Weslie.
And I know its just a word...just a diagnosis. But I dont want that to be her label. She already has to deal with her stroke history...now she has another "hurdle" to overcome.
Ugh...its just too much.
But I know she has no idea with CP means. All she knows is that we went to another doctor today that asked her to do all the same things that doctor after doctor has asked her to do for the last 3 years. Yet, this doctor did tell us that her legs are a different length - by about just under 1/2 an inch. And her feet are a different size (but so are mine...so this may be hereditary). This doctor also found that Weslie's muscles in her right leg and foot/ankle are tighter than the left side...which could impede her run/walk.
So for now we will take this new label and use it to help Weslie to receive more services. Things that she wasnt necessarily "qualified" for before today. Looks like there will be PT and more OT in her future. Possibly a wedge in her shoe to even out her legs. And alot of stretching to loosen up her muscles on her left side.
CP...stroke victim...they are just that...labels. They dont define who she is...who she will become. And if the past is any indication of the future...Weslie will surpass any expectation that we can think of for her development. And Caton and I will make sure that she has every opportunity to do so.
Proactive...that's what you can label us!
But when you think about your kids, the only labels that you think of are those that you want fulfilled as your dreams for your kids. When I think about the boys, I immediately think, "athletes...football player, baseball player". When I think of Weslie, I think, "beautiful dancer."
But today, Weslie was labeled again. I took her to see a specialist at Vanderbilt, who diagnosed her with cerebral palsy. CP. Ugh, just to say it makes my mouth frown, my eyes tear, and anger begin to rise up inside me.
When I think of CP, I see a person in a wheel chair...barely able to speak, not able to dance and sing and play. Nothing that I think of when I look at my sweet Weslie.
And I know its just a word...just a diagnosis. But I dont want that to be her label. She already has to deal with her stroke history...now she has another "hurdle" to overcome.
Ugh...its just too much.
But I know she has no idea with CP means. All she knows is that we went to another doctor today that asked her to do all the same things that doctor after doctor has asked her to do for the last 3 years. Yet, this doctor did tell us that her legs are a different length - by about just under 1/2 an inch. And her feet are a different size (but so are mine...so this may be hereditary). This doctor also found that Weslie's muscles in her right leg and foot/ankle are tighter than the left side...which could impede her run/walk.
So for now we will take this new label and use it to help Weslie to receive more services. Things that she wasnt necessarily "qualified" for before today. Looks like there will be PT and more OT in her future. Possibly a wedge in her shoe to even out her legs. And alot of stretching to loosen up her muscles on her left side.
CP...stroke victim...they are just that...labels. They dont define who she is...who she will become. And if the past is any indication of the future...Weslie will surpass any expectation that we can think of for her development. And Caton and I will make sure that she has every opportunity to do so.
Proactive...that's what you can label us!
3 comments:
Oh wow, Adriene. What a day. One thing all of our little ones are are Blessings! Thoughts and prayers for your family!
Hi, We don't know each other, but my husband used to work with Andrew Chambers. I was born a preemie ( a little over 2 months early). I was diagnosed with a form of cerebral palsy called spastic dysplasia. In short, my left leg is slightly shorter than my right ,and my left hamstring is always in the extended tight position. I wore a leg brace until I was nine. Lots of stretching and strengthing then and now. Weslie is a precious little girl, my parents always told me that no one is perfect. Some people have visible imperfections, others have imperfections inside their body. All of my dreams have happened, I am a wife, a mom, a daughter, etc. I also happen to be a SPED teacher. Weslie is a very precious little girl with CP. I never label my students (Ex: a learning disabled student. I would say a student with a learning disability) I commend you for not letting her be defined by this. She is the "Beautiful dancer" and can be anything else she wants to be. I hope this helps. I have been in Weslie's shoes and my parents were always positive. You have a beautiful family and may you continue to be blessed. Sincerely, Jennifer Smith
Weslie is so lucky to have parents like you and Keith that do not change how you look at her or what you dream for her just because of a diagnoses. Love is her best therapy and we all know she gets plenty of that.
Post a Comment