Monday, October 5, 2009

2024 Olympian???

We have always thought that Kade was strong. (I mean, hello, look at his Daddy!!!) But really, Kade was able to hold onto a bar and hang long before he could ever walk. And since having him in various gymnastics classes...we have seen that he really is alot stronger than most of the other kids. And he has a great sense of body awareness. He can shimmy across a balance beam as fast as you can blink your eye, and can pull up onto a bar and do a pullover with minimal help.

So after class on Tuesday, his teacher came over to Caton and I and began to talk about how we might need to put Kade into the next level class...and how she just doesnt want him to get bored with the current class and those activities...because "he can do everything already."

Then I told her, "but he's only three-and-a-half. I mean, like, he just turned three-and-a-half."

Her eyes widen (like she couldnt believe me) and said, "Well, just something to think about."

So on the way out, I grabbed one of the schedules...with the description of classes on the back and started to look them over. Kade's current class is for 3.5-6 year olds to "develop strength, agility, and good listening skills."

The next class (that his current teacher wants to put him in) is for boys ages 6.5 and older!!! WHAT?!?!?! She wants to put a 3.5 year old in a class for 6.5 year olds!!!!

Caton and I talked it over...and we still dont really know what to do. We may allow Kade to take one of the "upper" classes...just to see how he does, with the option to return to his current class if we feel that it is too much.

But then again...what if it's not too much??

Is this how the Hamm brothers got their start???

2 comments:

Riley Kai said...

I would get a list of skills that they teach in the next level and talk to them some more about what they would expect out of him. You don't want to push his little body into doing things it shouldn't do (even if it can!) at his age and stage of development. I coached for a long time, and saw a ton of injuries in little ones that were pushed too far just because they could do it. As long as the gym and coaches can keep in mind that he is only 3.5, move the kiddo up! (but stick around and monitor what he's doing for the first few weeks!) I can tell by the videos you post that he is abnormally coordinated and athletic for his age, but that won't "go away" if you don't enforce it:-) Make sure above everything that he's having fun!

The Barnes Crew said...

Is he in the Teddy Bears class? I don't think I'd put him in the Beginners boys class just yet. If he is in the TB class, I'd try the Cartwheelers class 1st.