Monday, September 21, 2009

Tri Trip: More Toddlers on a Plane

Last Wednesday, the kids and I left for Alabama. We had to fly on two different planes...making a connection in Memphis.

And I knew from experience that flying with both of the kids, by myself, was going to be a challenge. But one that I would have to endure in order to get to Alabama for the triathlon on Saturday.

So before we got on the plane, I asked repeatedly if Kade needed to use the bathroom. We even went into the bathroom and tried. He assured me that he didnt need to go...and wouldnt have to go while on the plane.

Remind me to never take the word of a three year old.

About midway through the flight, Kade announces to me and the other passengers around us, "Uh oh!!! I need to go pee!!!"

So we get up (all three of us) and go to the front of the plane (where the bathroom was.) As I open the door, I noticed that the potty was going to be too big for Kade to "hit"...so I put Weslie down and ended up having to hold Kade up high enough so that he could hit his mark. While I am holding him, he begins to say something to me. As he is talking, he paci fell right out of his mouth...and into the potty.

Now I was left with a dilemma...as I knew that we had the rest of that flight and one more flight to go...and that was Kade's last paci. And had I been thinking clearly (like, you know, thinking more like a person that isnt traveling alone with two toddlers), I would have just flushed the paci...using it as an excuse to get rid of Kade's paci addiction.

But I wasnt thinking.

So Kade got his paci out and rinsed it off in the sink...and I stuck it in my pocket.

Then we got back to our seats...and experienced what I like to call...falling out of the sky. This was MUCH more than turbulence...I mean, at one point it really felt like we were falling. And as the entire plane gasps for air, Kade screams out, "Whoa!!!! THAT was a big one!!! Mommy, I dont like big ones...only small ones!!!"

Yeah...it was awesome. As we were about to de-board the plane, the guy behind us leaned up and asked, "Are you going on after Memphis? Or is Memphis your final destination."

I answered, "Yes, we are going through to Alabama." And you could see the sigh of relief on his face as he realized that we wouldnt be on his next flight.

AND, I think I may have heard a slight cheer from the lady next to him...

1 comment:

diana said...

Sorry it was so tough. We have a plane trip planned in March and I am already having anxiety about it!