Thursday, August 20, 2009

Discipline

Kade is at the age where Caton and I are hard-core into having to discipline him. And while there are many ways that we could go about it...we have decided (after a few trys) that spanking just doesnt work with Kade. He even went as far as to tell me (after I had spanked him the other day) when we were talking about what he did wrong that, "I didnt even cry, Momma!"


So now we have resulted to taking away the things that he loves...watching movies, staying up late with Mommy and Daddy, and going on special outings with Caton (like to take the recyclables to the bin).


And tonight was a night full of discipline. Kade disobeyed at the sitter's house today. So as a consequence, he wasnt going to get to watch a movie. Then at dinner, he looked straight at me and said, "You're ugly." Then laughed about it. So for that consequence, Caton changed Kade into his jammies, took all of Kade's toys out of his room, and told Kade that he couldnt come out of his room for the rest of the night.


While I definitely think that we have to nip this behaviour in the bud now...I can only wonder if what we are doing is right...I mean, I know Kade doesnt like it (he cried himself to sleep tonight)...but how do we know what is "right?"

Any advice???

3 comments:

Heather said...

I think you are doing the right things. We struggle with the same issues with Elizabeth.

Justin

Riley Kai said...

I'm definately not seasoned nor an expert, but your doing exactly what I would do. You are not just taking his toys and making him cry your teaching him about life and how to become a man someday. I applaud you!

Scogin Family said...

I think you guys are doing great job! You are teaching him that with his choices there are consequences that he will have to live with. Good job!