Thursday, May 7, 2009

They Don't Call It Gym-nice-tics!!

Last night, I took Kade to his gymnastics class. And if you remember, last week, he had a blast...the teacher was awesome, the activities were engaging, and I was really impressed with what took place.

This week...notsomuch.

We knew after last week's class that that particular teacher would not be teaching the class this week. But I never dreamed that they would have recruited Satan to teach a pre-school class!!!

The class began 10 minutes late...with the teacher saying that we "needed to wait for a while to see if everyone on the list showed up." Ummm, no. Start on time. If they are running late, that is their fault...dont penalize our children that are here on time.

Then, for the first 12 minutes of class she had the kids stretching...including ankle rolls. Really?? I mean, I know that the children need to stretch before exercising, but they are too young to be sitting there for 12 minutes while you attempt to teach them what the "straddle" position is.

Then she had them get up and run back and forth along one of the mats, bunny hop, crab walk, etc. Which was all fine. However, she was having them do all this right next to the big floor (where some older girls were working out.) At one point, Kade ventured off onto that floor and the teacher went bizerk. Yelling at him to stay off the floor and made him take a timeout for going on the floor (even though she never established that the children couldnt go on that floor.)

That was when this Momma Bear began to get REALLY protective of her cub.

At one point, the teacher had the kids over near the bars and she kept wanting Kade to come over to her and hang on one of the bars. Which he didnt want to do. And she looked at me and said (in a very snotty voice), "Ummm, he doesnt want to do ANYTHING that I say."

And without even filtering what I was thinking I replied with the same snotty-ness, "Well, its probably because you have been yelling at him for the entire class."

Yeah, she didnt speak to me after that. :-)

So after starting the class 10 minutes late, she ended the class 5 minutes early. Apparently it didnt matter that we paid for 45 minutes of class...we only got 30.

I ended up talking with the manager after class...telling her that if this particular teacher was going to be teaching this class...that we would like a refund for the rest of the month. I expressed my displeasure at not only the activities that she did with the kids, but also how she spoke to them and managed them. I mean, they are 3 and under...you cant expect them to follow every direction to the letter.

So I am awaiting a phone call from the manager today to talk over the options available for Kade. I dont want to have to pull him entirely from gymnastics...but we WILL NOT return to a class with that particular teacher.

That lady definitely put the "nast(y)" in Gymnastics!!!

1 comment:

Riley Kai said...

My mom coached gymnastics for over 20 yrs, my sister used to be a H.S. gymnastics coach, and I myself coached for a few. I think I qualify as an expert when I say you should definately be upset! I 100% agree with you on this one! If you want to take K to get yelled at, stretch and hang on a bar, take him to the park where it is free! You deserve, at the very least, a refund and a sincere apology! Good luck, let us know what happens!