Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Tattoo Time

UPDATE 12:45pm: The tattoo artist called in sick today...so no tattoo today. I rescheduled for next Tuesday, same time. So I wait...

After Dad died, I decided that I wanted to get a memorial tattoo...but since I was pregnant with Weslie at the time, and then nursing her, I decided to wait until I was completely done nursing. Well...the time has come.

A few weeks back, I took some ideas to Caton's tattoo artist. I simply brought in some pictures of some different anchors that I liked (just like they do on the tattoo shows), gave her some other includes that I wanted, and this is what she came up with:

It is absolutely EXACTLY what I was thinking of. The anchor is representative of my father's time in the Navy. Although I didnt know him during his tour, the Navy was a big part of my Dad's life....and I think that helped to foster Dad's love of the water (hence the water element behind the anchor.) The rope on the anchor is actually not going to be a rope at all...but a purple and gold tiger tail...representing his love of all things LSU (the fact that he was born in Louisiana and that both Amy and I graduated from LSU...Dad was so proud of being a "coon ass" and having his girls get their education in Louisiana was a great source of pride for him.) The fish swimming around the anchor represent our family...the two biggest fish will represent Mom and Dad with Mom's fish being pink (for her birthstone color) and Dad's being blue. The rest of the fish, although in this pic are all smaller, will be resized to include three medium fish (for me, Caton, and Amy), and 2 smaller fish (for Kade and Weslie). Each of these fish being colored for our birth months as well.

I wanted to have something that represented our family be something that I could add to...if we have any more children or whatever...so the fish are perfect (and the fact that Dad loved to fish just adds to how right on this tattoo will be.)

Lastly, the lips are a representation of the only tattoo that my Dad had...a pair of lips on his rump. He got it while in the Navy...'nuf said about that.

The artist and I have been talking that it will be very colorful and very beautiful. She is the same artist that did Caton's tattoo of the skull and his latest tattoo representing our family...so I am sure that she is going to do an amazing job.

Caton and I were playing around with positioning last night...and I think I am going to get it on my lower back. I just didnt really like it anywhere else.

I go at 12:30pm today. Will post pics later.

Wish me luck!!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, that's so cool! Everything has such meaning behind it! Awesome! Good luck!

Rebecca Jo said...

Oh my gosh... I cant wait to see it... Love all the meanings in it too!

DWalker said...

Thats very cool! I like it. I'm still waiting for my idea of what to get! Still hasn't come to me.

Unknown said...

I love it!! If I was there I would get the lips on my rear end too!! I always loved that about Dad. Knowing he had that tattoo always made me smile for some reason. I'm glad you incorporated it in your tattoo. I can't wait to see how it looks. Good job on the design!!