Saturday, March 7, 2009

Signs

We are big advocates of teaching our little ones sign language. We taught Kade many different signs...yes, no, more, please, thank you, all done...and they were VERY helpful in knowing what he wanted long before he could verbalize his wants.

So with Weslie, we have been signing to her as well. Mostly during meal times, I will stop feeding her and sign more (by bringing your thumb together with your fingers and then bringing both hands together in front of you) and then give her more. All the while saying, "More? More Weslie?"

And today was the payoff. I put her bowl down to sign to her, and before I could sing more, she did it!!! It looked more like a clap than the actual sign...but she definitely did it!!! Then after a few more bits I stopped and asked, "Weslie, do you want more?" And she signed more again!!!

I mean, I know she's my child and all...but she REALLY IS a genius!!! ;-)

1 comment:

Jake and Emmie said...

I am a friend of Diana and Jason and love reading about your sweet children even though I know that is somewhat stalkerish! =) I somewhat became addicted to reading blogs when I started my son's blog. I was reading about the sign language and thought I would tell you that we have these GREAT videos that a friend recommended when Jake (my 17 month old) was little. We started putting them in occassionally (about once a month) when he was 6 months old. By 9 months he was already signing milk! He is a signing machine now and loves to sign all sorts of things! They are called Baby Signing Time. They have a website I think. You might not be interested but just thought that I would share. It is hard to get him to sit and watch anything (because we avoid tv as much as possible) but he really loves the songs and learns so much!
Jenn Gaddis