Thursday, March 27, 2008

A Hard Day

So I didnt know if I wanted to blog today or not...today would have been Dad's 58th birthday. And in our family birthdays are HUGE!!! You get to do what you want, eat what you want, and just have a day to celebrate YOU. So in keeping with this tradition, I have decided to list a few things that I learned in the 27 years of knowing my Dad.

1. Find fun in everything you do.
Dad always seemed to be able to have fun no matter what the circumstances.

2. Treat others with respect and they will return it.
Dad had an uncanny way of making a friend everywhere he went. He didnt meet a stranger. And always used his manners. And the evidence of how many people he touched was present in all the people that came to pay their respects at his wake...it really was an unbelievable site.

3. Dont worry about what other people think about you.
Dont get me wrong, Dad wasnt the kind of man that many people disliked...but he just really didnt care if you did or didnt like him. He spent his time nurturing those relationships worth nurturing - those that would nurture him in return.

4. (Probably the most important) Spend time with those that you love, even if it means a sacrifice for yourself.
I know there were plenty of times that Dad could have gone fishing, or gone on different trips and such, but he chose to stay home...spending time with Mom, me and Amy. And since getting married and having Kade, he would count the days until he and Mom would return to see his beloved grandson. And I know he loved any excuse to jump over and visit Amy at LSU.

The last 5 months without him have been the most unreal in my life. I never imagined being 28 and NOT having one of my parents see my children and be a part of their lives. It still feels as if he is simply on a trip and will return home any day now. I miss him terribly and think of him numerous times throughout each day. I know he is looking down on us...sending his love.

Dad, Happy Birthday. We love and miss you so much.

3 comments:

The Barnes Crew said...

I'm sorry that I wasn't here for you!! But I'm sure that he was whoopin he's day up, up in heaven! I can just picture him up there with all the apostles and he's got them all in stitches!

amy (metz) walker said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
amy (metz) walker said...

Wow, girl, that was a powerful post. Made me cry... My dad is the same age as yours and it just really hits home that you never know what tomorrow may bring.

I am truly sorry for your loss, but am so glad you were able to experience life with such an apparently wonderful man.

I know without a doubt he is so proud of you...who wouldn't be?