Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Just Too Sweet

Last week I had to go and take the "1-hour glucose test." This is a test that they give every expectant mother sometime around the end of the 2nd trimester/beginning of the 3rd. So last week, I went to have mine done. Basically I had to drink a sugary liquid (tasted like carbonated lemon lime Gatorade) and then wait one hour to have my blood drawn. The blood is then analyzed to see if I am metabolising enough sugar to be considered "normal."

Well, I apparently wasnt. The cut off number for the blood test is 140 and my blood came back with a number of 146. So now I have to go and have another test done....the "3-hour glucose test." There they will give me twice as much sugary drink and then take my blood at 1 hour, 2 hours, and at 3 hours. Then the blood will be analyzed to see if I do indeed have gestational diabetes. I think like 4% of women get this during pregnancy.

So...I will probably go on Thursday morning to have the test done. I have to fast from midnight until the test is over (I am pretty much going to STARVE). I can only have some water.

Dr. Burks doesnt seem to concerned about this. He says that since my numbers the first time were so close, he doesnt think that this test will come back positive...but they have to have a cut off, and I just missed it.

So bring on the carbonated Gatorade and the needles!!!! Oh, and pray that I dont have gestational diabetes...I dont want to have to give myself shots for the next 10 weeks!!!

3 comments:

The Barnes Crew said...

BUMMER...but I'm sure you'll be fine!

Heather said...

I had the same thing happen with Elizabeth and passed the 3hr without a problem. I'm sure you'll be fine. It did make me quite sick to my stomach...that much sugar on an empty stomach - yuk! Have a plan to get something to eat as soon as your done!

The Alnutts said...

I had to do the 3 hour test with both Kinleigh and Mason. It is not a whole lot of fun but by the third hour they did let me go to Wal-Mart to shop and then came back to take the last draw of blood. Take some good magazines to read! I am sure you will be a-okay!=)