Wednesday, March 21, 2007

The $200 Inspection

Okay, so in Missouri (and in the other states we have lived in besides Alabama) you have to get your vehicle inspected before they will give you "clearance" to transfer the title, get new tags, etc. So I took the Tahoe in this morning for an $8 inspection. At least, that is what it said on the sign outside.

Well, of course, they get the Tahoe up on the lift and the little tech guy comes in, "Adriene" he calls out. I raise my hand and he comes over and sits next to me....like he is going to tell me some really bad news. He says how everything on the Tahoe looks great...especially for the mileage and its age, but (and there is always a but) it will need new tie rods in order to pass inspection.

"Tie rods?" I ask, "What's a tie rod?"

So he brings me out to the Tahoe and gets me to shine the flashlight on this metal piece that looks like it is holding the tire on and he begins to shake the wheel.

"You see how that is wiggling back and forth?" he asks. "That's your tie rod..and it's not supposed to be moving."

Honestly, it all looked like it was moving to me...but whatever. So we go back into the shop and I ask how much these new tie rods are going to cost me. he says they can have them installed and the inspection done for $173 before taxes.

Okay, so I am thinking...holy cow!!! My $8 inspection has now turned into a $173 inspection. So I try to get Keith on the phone...he doesn't answer. I call Dad, he says that, yeah, maybe, it might need new ones, but he isn't for sure. So I eventually tell the guy just to change the tie rods and get it done.

Apparently the tie rods hold your steering system to the tires, so I guess it's good that we are replacing them!!! So I just have to say, poo poo on the $8 inspection...a deal like that is always too good to be true.

Oh, and I just have to say, Happy Bday to me...I will be receiving new tie rods this year!!! Waaahoooo!!!

No comments: